Okay, I’m taking advantage of my blog-writing mood. This is Part 1 of my attempt to document the past 6 months.
So I made some food:
1. Thit Kho Tau (at least this is what my mom calls it) – Vietnamese Braised Pork with Eggs
It didn’t quite taste like my Mom’s cooking… but it was close enough (here’s a recipe). Probably because I’m not great at cooking but also probably because I didn’t add any MSG. Not because I am against MSG but because I don’t have any. MSG is a natural by-product of the soy-sauce production process so suck it. Here’s an article on MSG which explains why haters can suck it. On a related tangent – Providence is home to a restaurant with a Momofuku disciple (North) and it’s one of my new favorite places to eat!
2. Spaghetti with meatballs (stuffed with mozzarella!) with Kate
I’m not the biggest fan of spaghetti and meatballs but this was a simple meal and plus, it had mozzarella, how could I resist?
3. (Sarah had a random craving for) blueberry muffins.
For a quickie recipe – they didn’t taste half bad. I’m looking forward to actually baking in my new kitchen though! Once Dan lets me get a doughnut pan, be on the lookout for baked doughnut pictures!
4. Cooking with Dan and Chris: Brown rice and quinoa from a box, pork chops, and roasted brussels sprouts with bacon.
One word – delicious.
5. Itsuka and Sarah wanted buffalo chicken pizza.
6. Ma Po Tofu
This is one of mine (and Dan’s) favorite go-to recipes. It’ll definitely be a staple once we move in together – along with Spicy Chicken Rigatoni!
7. Accidentally eating vegetarian – veggie burger on an english muffin with avocado and sweet potato fries.
The veggie burgers were from Trader Joe’s, my review – decent.
8. [Ninja Edit]: Spring rolls
One of the few Vietnamese dishes I know how to make!
9. Last, but certainly not least in my heart, my dearest bok choy plant: Johann Sebastian Bok (kudos to Dan for the name). Here’s his progression from humble plant sitting on my desk at the office (I got him at a RI event at the State House) to monster plant in Dan’s Mom’s garden, to sitting in a kitchen, being prepped for cooking.
Next – things I’ve done, places I’ve traveled, and events I’ve attended in the past 6 months.